Having attended all the Society of Indexers’ conferences since 2014, taking in Cirencester, York, Birmingham, Oxford and Lancaster, it’s my turn as Chair of the society to invite members and other interested parties to our event in London in September. You can find out more on the Society of Indexers’ website.
I don’t get away with just meeting and greeting and having fun, I’m down to speak to new indexers.
I’ll be talking about
- finding first indexing jobs
- marketing to publishers
- other possible clients and where to find them
- dealing with potential clients
- how to ask questions to find out what they really want
- quoting – what are the options
- doing the job –
- approaching a whole new book,
- using software
- keeping records,
- checking the index and sending it off,
- feeding back comments and questions to the editor/client
- reviewing the process
But, if there’s anything else you think I should be covering, just let me know in good time before the conference.